The country of Malta received the British Civilian Medal: George Cross, on April 15th 1942, by King George VI. Malta, a member of the British Commonwealth at time, received this medal in honour of their resistance to German aerial attacks during World War II.
April 15th 1942
King George VI
King of Britain
- Award of the George Cross to Malta – Wikipedia
The George Cross was awarded to the island of Malta by King George VI in a letter to the island’s Governor, Lieutenant-General Sir William Dobbie, so as to “bear witness to the heroism and devotion of its people” during the great siege they underwent in the early parts of World War II.
- 15th April 1942: Malta awarded the George Cross – WWII Today
The sustained air attack on Malta reached its peak in April 1942 with over 280 air raids during the whole month, almost 10 a day.
- BBC ON THIS DAY | 15 | 1942: Malta gets George Cross for bravery
- Malta Command WW2 Living History Group – The George Cross
The people of Malta have been awarded the George Cross in recognition of their continuing heroic struggle against enemy attack.
- In 1942 King George VI Conferred the George Cross on Malta.
The George Cross was instituted in September 1940 as a reward for acts of the greatest heroism or the most conspicuous courage in circumstances of extreme danger.
- This month in history: Malta’s George Cross | The Gazette
On 15 April 1942, King George VI awarded the people of Malta the George Cross in recognition of their continuing and heroic struggle against repeated and continuous attacks during World War 2.
- Times of Malta ‒ George Cross awarded to Malta 70 years ago today
Seventy years ago, the Maltese Islands were experiencing one of the hardest and most cruel times in their history. April 1942 was perhaps the worst month Malta endured in World War II.
- Times of Malta ‒ The true story of Malta and the George Cross
The award of the George Cross to Malta has never been officially published in the London Gazette.
- April 15, 1942: Malta—the entire island—was awarded the George …
King George VI awarded the people of Malta the George Cross [on 15 April 1942] in recognition of their continuing and heroic struggle against repeated and continuous attacks during World War 2.