The experimental hydrofoil boat was designed by Enrico Forlanini, an Italian helicopter and airship pioneer in 1905. The boat rose from the water on ladderlike winged surfaces called hydrofoils thereby, reducing drag by propelling along the surface at high speeds due to powerful engines. Forlanini licensed his invention to an American, Alexander Graham Bell and Frederick W. “Casey” Baldwin who tested the new design- HD4 on Lake Baddeck, Nova Scotia, Canada in August 1918. The world record speed of 70.86 miles (114 kilometres) per hour with a top speed of 38 knots was achieved on September 9, 1919.
1905, September 9, 1919
- Enrico Forlanini – Wikipedia
Enrico Forlanini (13 December 1848 – 9 October 1930) was an Italian engineer, inventor and aeronautical pioneer, known for his works on helicopters, aircraft, …
- Hydrofoil History – The Pioneering Vessels andPeople
Feb 28, 2016 – Hydrofoil History – Pioneering Vessels and Pioneering People. Articles …. Also, a design for the W-2 REKIN, a ferry for the Baltic. Other hydrofoil …… Remote control helicopters are hung beside his front door. In addition, he …
- Alexander Graham Bell and the Hydrofoils [1906-1921]
A few weeks later he sketched what is now called a hydrofoil boat. … hydrofoil pioneer named William E. Meacham, explaining the basic principle. … of 1911, Baldwin designed and built a hydrofoil boat, which he and Bell referred to as a …
- JETFOIL/Hydrofoil – Boeing
Boeing adapted many systems used in jet airplanes for hydrofoils. … AH-6 Light Attack Helicopter …. These surfaces were connected to a pioneering automatic control systems that sensed and controlled the boat’s height above … The foil system was designed to allow the boat to travel beyond speeds that produce cavitation.
- 22 best Hydrofoils @ RodriquezConsulting.com images on Pinterest …
See more ideas about The history, Boats and Ships. … Named after Magellan, this hydrofoil voyager yacht is designed for reaching out to the most … High speed helicopter for future luxury private heli market ….. Meteor III was brought to Queenstown from England by pioneering tourism operator Frank Howarth in 1966.