The Polynesian settlers were the first surfers to use carved wooden surfboards along the Hawaiian beachfront in 750 CE.
- Ancient Hawaiian Surfboard (Alaia) Building | Club Of The Waves
Ancient Hawaiian surfboard building – pen and ink drawings of how the ancient … such as canoe building, and, seeing partially made antique surfboards, as well … The wooden boards were made using the Wili Wili, the Ula and the Koa tree’s.
- Alaias, Ancient Hawaiian Surfboards, Make a Comeback – The New …
Dec 3, 2009 – It takes some getting used to, but the traditional Hawaiian flat-tailed wooden … Another draw is the link to the sport’s early Polynesian history at a time … sells alaias and other wooden surfboards (tomwegenersurfboards.com).
- His handcrafted wooden surfboards are a throwback to ancient Hawaii
Feb 12, 2018 – Warrior Nation · High School Sports · Nick Rolovich Show · Polynesian Bowl 2019 · Hawaii Night Lights … His handcrafted wooden surfboards are a throwback to ancient … reminiscent of the boards ancient Hawaiians used for bodysurfing. … He began surfing as s child, and his first surfboard was a wooden …
- Wooden Surfing: The Lost Art of Vintage Surfing Boards by Phillips …
Jan 6, 2014 – Phillips Surf Company is raising funds for Wooden Surfing: The Lost Art of Vintage Surfing Boards on Kickstarter! My goal is to recreate the …
- Surf Culture: The Meaning of Olo Alaia | Olo Alaia Surf & Brew
Dec 16, 2017 – Surf culture roots back to riding waves in ancient Polynesian times. … Olo boards are long and narrow, and used to surf gently sloping … The boards were typically made out of Koa, ulu and wili-wili (Hawaiian balsa) wood, and …