Florence Nightingale a British nurse was the first woman to be awarded British Order of Merit in 1907, at the age of 87. King Edward VII awarded her in recognition of her service in the Crimean War and furthering British medicine.
- Florence Nightingale: The Order of Merit
Both men and women are admitted into the order; Florence Nightingale was the first woman awarded the honour (1907), and not another woman received the order until the induction of Dorothy Hodgkin in 1965. … Joslin, Spink’s Catalog of British Orders, Decorations and Medals, 1983).
- Order of Merit, Florence Nightingale, 1907 | Online Collection …
Order of Merit awarded to Florence Nightingale, 1907. Since its institution in 1902, the Order of Merit has to date only admitted eight women, of which Florence …
- Miss Nightingale and the Order of Merit – The Life and Times …
It was to the effect that the KING had been pleased to confer the Order of Merit upon MISS FLORENCE NIGHTINGALE. When that most coveted and most …
- A Remarkable Woman – Order of Merit for Florence …
Short biography of Florence Nightingale >> … [On the Award of The Order of Merit.] from The … Florence Nightingale, The Famous Nurse Of The Crimean War.
- 30 November 1907: The Order of Merit for Florence Nightingale
May 20, 2011 – Crimea’s Lady with the Lamp recognised for her pioneering work in nursing and army sanitation: Miss Florence Nightingale, on whom the Order …