Yep only in Canada could you have a hockey game go wild…
The first indoor hockey game held in 1875 at Victoria Skating Rink in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Both teams from McGill University, but according to an article from the Daily British Wig:
“The teams took time out from play to batter each other about the heads and legs, smashing wooden benches. It got so bad that the lady spectators fled in confusion.”
Only in Canada Eh!
Victoria Skating Rink
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
For More Information:
- First indoor hockey game – Wikipedia
On March 3, 1875, the first recorded indoor ice hockey game took place at the Victoria Skating Rink in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
- First indoor game of ice hockey – Mar 03, 1875 – HISTORY.com
Ice hockey was initially thought too dangerous a game to play, as the ball was difficult to control on the ice. For the 1875 Montreal game, the ball was replaced with a wooden disc, now known as a puck.
- Second Draft: First indoor hockey game in 1875 was marked by a fight
The Victoria Skating Rink is where the first organized indoor game of hockey was played on March 3, 1875.
- 141 years ago, Montreal held the first ever organized indoor hockey
On this day in 1875, a national pastime was born. At least, that’s when the first organized game of indoor ice hockey was held in Montreal.
- The Origins of the Modern Rink – The Hockey Writers
The Victoria was host to the first indoor hockey game in 1875